Social Studies - Secondary
The Secret Path - Chanie Wenjack Foundation and the Legacy Project - Classroom resources for high school teachers
FNESC's new resource guide for grades 3 - 12 related to First Nations Land, Title and Governance
- CEN'ALIEN WEBSITE - learn about the Semiahmoo First Nation and their collaborative project with Surrey School District to build two welcome posts.
- This resource from the Museum of Anthropology is related to the repatriation of 'belongs'. It includes lesson plans and much more!
- This is a brilliant online resource related to the Musqueam First Nation. Download the teachers guide in English and French. The online resource includes beautiful videos and so much more! www2.moa.ubc.ca/musqueamteachingkit/
- SQ'éwlets - A Sto:lo Coast Salish Community: This local resource has so much information! Be sure to scroll down to the bottom and click on the link related to Indigenous Knowledge cards. There is so much information on the website. Make sure to really did around! I particularly like Gwen Points story - The Cannibal Woman -
United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Document:
- English | Français | Español | Русский | عربي | 汉语 (PDF version)
- Adolescent-Friendly Version of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
Calls to Action
Stories of Truth - a local resource connected to the residential school in Mission.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Great Bear Sea Social Studies curriculum for grades 11/12
The Great Bear Sea’s Marine Planning Partnership (MaPP) is an innovative approach to marine planning, which provides an interesting lens for students to consider issues of governance and collaboration. The Exploring the Great Bear Sea Social Studies Grades 11 & 12 Curriculum Resource is a five lesson unit of study that takes an inquiry-based approach to exploring the MaPP and themes of collaborative planning and decision-making, Indigenous Knowledge and sustainability. This unit will help students develop critical thinking skills across multiple Social Studies courses, as they explore this key region of British Columbia from ecological, economic, geographic, social and cultural perspectives. Students will consider both the benefits and challenges associated with collaborative decision-making, and the implications of decision-making both now and in the future."
Indian Residential School
- Grade 10 - Indian Residential Schools and Reconciliation Teachers Guide
- Grade 11/12 - Indian Residential Schools and Reconciliation Teachers Resource Guide
- Another resource related to IRS for secondary students created by Historica Canada
- Beyond 94 - How are we doing report
- Crimes against children at IRS: The Truth About St. Annes's (Fifth Estate) - click here
B.C. First Nations Studies 12 - IRP
Looking at Language Revitalization
Stolo Atlas - this is a fabulous resource . Download this pdf to view the table of contents
NEW - Squamish Atlas - place names
9000 Years - This resource was created by the Siya:ye Yoyes Society and relates to the Sto:lo People.
CEN'ALIEN - EARL MARRIOT WELCOME POSTS. Teachers must be logged onto Surreyschools.ca to view this site. Teachers may not copy any of the videos or photographs.
Corinne Penner, Social Helping Teacher, has created a list of resources to support social studies.
The Great Quake and the Great Drowning - from Hakai - great article with story
Red Earth Uncovered - APTN series - videos
Take an adventure to places where world-renowned mysteries remain elusive. Myths such as Ogopogo and Sasquatch. Red Earth Uncovered seeks to learn the possibilities and truths about what could be. Tom Jackson and Shayla Stonechild lead the investigation of archaeological discoveries and ancient myths to uncover how Indigenous Peoples may have played a role in historical events and legends.
Women of the Water
A collection of videos and documentary about Indigenous connections to water.
Treaty Websites and Links:
- Detailed lesson plans for grades 7-12 relating to treaties. Surf this site as there are several lesson plans relating to treaties including an interesting lesson on timelines.
- The Pass System (documentary) Discussion Guide and Lessons
- A Brief History to Our Right to Self-Governance (36 page document)
- Five Pillars of Effective Governance - THE PEOPLE THE LAND fngovernance.org//publication_docs/Five_Pillars_EN_web.pdfAWS&JURISDICTION INSTITUTIONS RESOURCES.
- The Governance Toolkit
- Treaty Relations Commission (Manitoba) - look for the link on the left hand side to go to the k-12 Treaty Continuum and other linksl
- First Nations, Metis and Inuit Education Association of Ontario - Treaties and Governance
- 21 Things you may not know about the Indian Act (video)
- Colonization Road
Exploring Inuit Culture - click here